You may be thinking, “Educate them about what?” Well, consider this, many businesses focus solely on attracting new customers, but you NEED to spend a good chunk of your time retaining current and former customers. These are people you already know to be a good sales potential…they’ve already bought from you!
Take the time to market and sell new products to your old customers and less time trying to sell old products to new customers and you will see a drastic change in your sales, customer quality and branding position.
Here are a couple of key elements to use to retain your current customers:
- Stay in contact: This means by phone, email, e-newsletter, in person or by pigeon if you have too! A super easy way to stay in touch is using Send Out Cards – a simple solution that allows you to keep in touch by sending greeting cards via their online portal or even their mobile APP! The number one reason why customers leave your business is perceived indifference – so don’t let that happen. You worked hard to get the customers you have – don’t lose them by ignoring them!
- Post-Purchase Assurance: This means you need to follow up with customers. Your customers need to feel like they are being supported for their purchase and with the item they purchased. How many times have you purchased a product, then felt completely abandoned? Something as simple as a Thank You note with your contact or customer service information can go along way in retaining a great customer. Once again, you can use Send Out Cards to do this!
- Deals & Guarantees: Always offer your current customers the best deals and guarantees you have. Show them you appreciate their business or even come up with a club specifically to reward loyal customers. You can also do this with a preferred pricing option. Stop giving special offers to customers you don’t know – offer the deals to the customers that already love you – and allow THEM to share those deals with their friends. By rewarding your current customers, they will stay with you longer and recommend you more often!
- Integrity: Using good business practices and simply upholding integrity, dignity and honesty go a long way with customers. Let’s face it, there’s a lot of swindling and low quality products out there and the safer and more confident you make your customers feel, the more they will trust you and that makes for an amazingly supportive and loyal customer.
There are three cornerstone ideas to educate your customers about:
- The quality of your product/service
- Details of how your products/services solve the problems or enhance the lives of your customer
- Complementary subjects your customers find interesting
Use this approach of educating your customers and offering them real information and insight and you will be rewarded with loyalty and success.
Stop wasting all your time on new prospects while your current customers fall by the wayside!
As Jay Abraham says, “Your best prospects are your existing customers. If you’ve been putting all your marketing efforts into acquiring new customers, stop and divert some of your resources into reselling, upselling, cross-selling to those same customers. In every way possible – through package inserts, regular mailings, special offers – stay in touch with those customers and get them used to buying from you.”
So, there it is! Remember, our FREE E-Learning test drive can help you put together the resources and tools to do exactly that. We can help you educate your customers and you can watch the benefits pay offer many-fold.